The Most Important Question
The most important question that anyone will have to deal with in life has to do with the Person of the Lord Jesus Christ. That question is “What must I do to be saved?” In Jesus, the Son of God, you can know that you have eternal life. And you can feel a greater sense of fulfillment here and now, in knowing that your purpose in life is not simply to exist for a short time, and then to die, but that it is to serve God, to have fellowship with Him, and to have a wonderful home in heaven with Him after your time on earth is over.
Let me share with you the wonderful gospel plan of salvation. The Bible says that God sent His Son to save us:
- John 3:16 (KJV) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
What do we need to be saved from? The fact is that we were all born into sin. And that sin separates us from God unless we repent and accept the salvation of God through His Son Jesus.
The Bible says:
- Romans 3:10 (KJV) As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
We were born into sin. We cannot help sinning. And we delude ourselves if we deny this.
- 1 John 1:8 (KJV) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
- John 3:19 (KJV) And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
The penalty for sin is death and eternal separation from God.
- Revelation 20:15 (KJV) And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
- John 3:36 (KJV) He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
However, there is a way out. Anyone who accepts Jesus Christ, the Son of God, as his or her Savior will receive eternal life.
- Romans 10:8 (KJV) But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; 9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
- 1 John 1:9 (KJV) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- John 11:25 (KJV) Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: 26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?
Jesus Christ, even though He was the Son of God, came to earth in human form, died for our sins (1 Cor. 15:3, 1 John 2:2), and arose from the dead (Luke 24:4-7, Acts 2:24). Having ascended into heaven, Jesus will come again (Acts 1:11) to receive those who believe on Him, and they will be with Him forever (1 Thess. 4:16-17).
How easy it is to accept Him! And how wonderful it is to be free of the shackles of sin, and to walk in Him.
- Romans 6:22 (KJV) But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
- John 1:12 (KJV) But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
Will you accept Him today? Confess your sin, receive the Lord Jesus as your Savior, and become His. All you need to do is ask Him.
- Romans 10:13 (KJV) For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Pray with a sincere heart to Jesus, and He will save you and give you eternal life. If you don’t know how to pray, repeat the following and mean it:
- “Lord, I confess that I am a sinner and that I cannot save myself. I believe that Jesus is Your Son, and that He died for my sins and rose from the dead. Please forgive me of all my sins through His blood. I receive Jesus into my heart as my Savior and Lord, and ask Your Spirit to strengthen me, and to help me walk worthy of You. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”
- Luke 15:10 (KJV) Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.
If you prayed that prayer . . . what next?
- Begin to read God’s Word, the Bible, and pray daily (Eph. 6:17-18). You now have a relationship with God, and just as you maintain your relationships with your family, you should also want to keep in contact with God through prayer and the Bible.
- Begin attending a sound, Bible-believing church (Acts 1:14, Heb. 10:24-25). This will allow you to fellowship with others who belong to Jesus and help to strengthen you as you walk in Him.
- Be baptized, following Christ’s example and God’s Word (Matt. 28:19, Acts 8:36-37).
- Begin seeking God’s will for your life, and how He would want you to serve Him (Heb. 13:20-21).
- 1 John 4:15 (KJV) Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God. 16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.